12 Steps Drug Therapy
The 12 step treatment is the best known method for recovery from drug or alcohol abuse. The 12 steps program was firstly published in Alcoholics Anonymous (AA). It represents human structure in three different directions: physical, spiritual and mental. The original 12 steps principles are as follows:
1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become unmanageable.
2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.
9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His Will for us and the power to carry that out.
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
The success rate of this program is highest and therefore it is adopted by most of the drug and alcohol rehab treatment centers. Moreover the procedure used by this program is very much generalized in nature. Hence it is applicable for many addiction cases. Due to its high success rate many other programs has adopted it. For e.g. Overeaters anonymous, Narcotics anonymous, Emotions anonymous, etc.
Its limitation is that it is non-professional in nature. So its effectiveness is cannot be determined easily. Professional Therapist usually uses this method for curing drug and alcohol addicts.
The people who are in search of best rehab program for themselves or their dear-ones should prefer 12 step method for drug and alcohol addiction treatment. This method is suitable for most of the people as this method is proved to be the best method for addiction treatment.